Non communicable diseases (NCDs) also known as chronic diseases, are not passed from person to person, long duration and generally slow progression.
- The leading cause of death in the world, representing 63% of all annual deaths.
- Kill more than 36 million people each year.
- 80% of all NCD deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries.
- More than 9 million of all deaths attributed to NCDs occur before the age of 60.
- NCDs are not only a health problem but a development challenge as well.
Australia Institute of Health & Welfare(AIHW) commonly reports on 8 major groups:
- Back pain,
- Cardiovascular disease,
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,
- Diabetes and
- Mental health condition.
Causes of chronic diseases
- Polluted Environment
- Unsafe Food,
- Physical inactivity